Wednesday, November 18, 2015

~Random posts on games: 11-18-15~

I’ve been playing a lot of Metroid lately. I struggle to decide which is my favorite: Super Metroid or Metroid Prime? When I was playing Metriod Prime this morning, I thought: I’m annoyed by all this first-person platforming. And these boss fights are unwelcome. I want some of that solid 2D platforming in Super Metroid, and less of these annoying boss fights. Then this evening I played Super Metroid. I got annoyed by some of the 2D platforming, and am now stuck at an annoying boss. I also missed the visor-action of Metroid Prime and longed for that game’s first-person immersion.
The grass is always greener, I guess. I love both these games, but in trying to decide which is my favorite, I have to pick out the negative qualities and weigh them against the other’s positive qualities. My indecision here is one reason I am not putting an order to my top ten Nintendo games list yet. Right now I’m leaning more towards Metroid Prime, but that could change. Both are some of the greatest games ever made, that’s for sure.
As for recent games, I’ve got both Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3. I love Fallout 4, but graphical problems because of my PC configuration (something in there not ticking with Fallout 4), and hard-coded key binds that don’t jive with my left-handed mouse-ness both mar the experience. And it makes me just want to play Skyrim. Glad Fallout 4 is out of the way—get to The Elder Scrolls VI!
The Witcher 3 is great, but I can’t get into the combat. I either want hack-in-slash like Skyrim or pause-strategy like Dragon Age Origins. All this dive, block, jump, potion, bombs, secondary item…and all that with a keyboard and mouse setup…blah. I have it on ‘Just the Story!’ difficulty for a reason.

Tempted to buy an Xbox One for Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I’d also use it to play Metal Gear Solid V, which I do not want to play on the PC. But I’m holding off…think I’ll wait until Christmas. I’m mired in a gigantic backlog now anyway. But I may get Metroid Fusion off the Wii U’s eShop soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment